Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Setting Your Captives Free: Forgiveness

Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you. ~Ephesians 4:32~



Forgiveness is the gift we all want to receive but so often we find it hard to give. It is not easy to forgive. Yet, I believe in forgiveness is revival and freedom. When we repent, God mercifully forgives us and releases us from our debt. He did this through the high price of His Son's death on a wooden cross. We are called to forgive others because we received His forgiveness. When we are able to release our offenders, we find the key to unlock the door of our own hearts and that sets us free to experience peace and joy.



We have all been and we will all be hurt or offended at some point in life. The Word doesn't say you MIGHT suffer, it says WHEN you suffer. So, in saying that, we will never totally avoid being hurt or wronged by others. Therefore, we cannot avoid the need to forgive others. If you ask: how many times should I forgive? Matthew 18:22 says seventy times seven. We must be willing to forgive the same person time and time again. Forgiveness unlimited.



I do not believe that forgiveness equals trust, by the way. I think this is an important step in learning the forgiveness process. Forgiving someone does not mean we are to run back and ask for more. It does not mean we forget and allow the same things to happen to us time and again. Trust is a another subject (maybe a future topic?).



I think about the story of Joseph. He was a classic example of being wronged, and by his own family, of all things. Aren't we supposed to be able to rely on family? Well, that is not necessarily the case. We all know someone or it might be you personally, who has had a horrible family life. If this is you, I am so sorry. Back to Joseph, he did not look to someone to blame nor did he seek revenge. Joseph knew God was in control of his life all along and was able to see the hand of God in times of adversity as well as prosperity. He realized that the purposess of God were much greater than his personal comfort. I KNOW that suffering is not comfortable. But, like Joseph, I want to able to forgive and bless those who have mistreated me. I cannot do this on my own; it is only through the strength of Christ in me. The Word is very clear that we are forgiven AS we forgive others. I know all the wrongs in my own life and I want to receive the forgiveness God extends.



Letting the offender off YOUR hook does not mean they are off of God's hook. Forgiveness involves transferring the prisoner over to the ONE who is able and responsible for carrying out justice. It relieves us of the burden and responsibility to hold them in prison ourselves. That is freedom. Just a little something to think about: would I be willing for God to deal with me in the same way that I want to see my offender dealt with?

Be assured that if you are willing to walk into the pain, God will go there with you. Hard as it may be to forgive those who have sinned against you, you will experience great freedom as you choose to obey God, by His grace. In obedience to Him is great joy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment